- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
This tour looks at the current social and economical situation faced by those living in township communities.
It also looks at current development programs aimed at improving the lives of people living in township communities vs. the struggle of the past which lead into the likes of Nelson Mandela sentenced to life imprisonment at Robben Island.
The Robben Island visit includes:
- A return ferry ride.
- A guided tour of Robben Island and the prison including Nelson Mandela’s cell.
- The tour ends after the return ferry trip at the Nelson Mandela Gateway, Clock-tower, V&A Waterfront. Return to the hotel not included.
- Please note that under the New Robben Island museum compliance regulation, the full names of all participants, as well as their passport or ID numbers, are required in order for us to be able to purchase tickets on your behalf. As such on the day of the tour please see to it that you have your identification document or certified copy to confirm your identity.
You'll do the following activities:
• 8:30 am Pick up at your accommodation
• 8:30 am – 12:30 pm – Learn about the stories of the lives of the persons and current living conditions in township communities.
• 12:30 pm – 12:50 pm –Lunch Break at V&A Waterfront.
Ferry to Robben Island
12:50 pm – Proceed to Nelson Mandela Gateway where you'll take a ferri to Robben Island
Robben Island Tour
13:00 pm – 17:00 pm – Robben Island Tour
• Return transfers to/from Johannesburg
• Township Tour
• Rooben Island tour
• Copy of passport or photo of it. It is needed when boarding. Note: to complete your booking full names and passport numbers are required.
• Extra cash
• Comfortable shoes
• Bring a sweater for the return boat from the Island
All year round. Tickets for the ferry to Robben Island are subject to weather conditions and availability. Especially in high season (December – February) be aware that the ferry may not necessarily run at the end of the Township tour. In this case, you will be asked to make your way to the harbor.